NaviGo Global’s reading list is a constantly growing mix of soccer-related texts, each with ideas and lessons that can be applied toward improving a youth soccer organization. Some of our favorites are below.
- Kuper, Simon. Soccer Against the Enemy: How the World’s Most Popular Sport Starts and Fuels Revolutions and Keeps Dictators in Power. New York: Nation Books, 2006.
- Kuper, Simon, and Stefan Szymanski. Soccernomics: why England loses, why Germany and Brazil win, and why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey and even Iraq are destined to become the kings of the world’s most popular sport. New York: Nation Books, 2009.
- Anderson, Christopher, and David Sally. The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Soccer Is Wrong. New York: Penguin Book, 2013.
- Mairs, Paul S. A., and Richard E. Shaw. Coaching Outside the Box: Changing the Mindset in Youth Soccer. Syracuse, N.Y.: Mairs & Shaw, 2012.
- Baker, Stan. Our Competition is the World: Ideas for Implementing the United States Soccer Curriculum. Raleigh, N.C.: Lulu Publishing, 2012.
- Kormelink, Henny, and Tjeu Seeverens. The Coaching Philosophies of Louis van Gaal and the Ajax Coaches. Spring City, Pa.: Reedswain, 1997.
History & Biography
- Hornby, Nick. Fever Pitch. New York: Riverhead Books, 1998.
- Winner, David, and Franklin Foer. Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Soccer. Woodstock, N.Y.: The Overlook Press, 2008.
- Doyle, John. The World is a Ball: The Joy, Madness, and Meaning of Soccer. Emmaus, Pa.: Rodale, 2010.
- Kuper, Simon. Soccer Men: Profiles of the Rogues, Geniuses, and Neurotics Who Dominate the World’s Most Popular Sport. New York: Nation Books, 2011.
- Burns, Jimmy. La Roja: How Soccer Conquered Spain and How Spanish Soccer Conquered the World. New York: Nation Books, 2012.
- Powell, Robert Andrew. This Love Is Not For Cowards: Salvation and Soccer in Ciudad Juárez. New York: Bloomsbury USA, 2012.
- Ferguson, Alex. Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2013.
- Honigstein, Raphael. Das Reboot: How German Soccer Reinvented Itself and Conquered the World. New York: Nation Books, 2015.
- Richards, Ted. Soccer and Philosophy: Beautiful Thoughts on the Beautiful Game. Chicago: Open Court, 2010.